Sunday, October 17, 2010

Travian 4 BETA Server Invites

A wave of euphoria has swept accross Travian in the last few days. Travian 4 is happening and it's happening a lot sooner than expected. Although the public release date is not until the Summer 2011 it seems that the code has already been completed and testing has already started. Thousands of people have been lucky enough to recieve a personal invite for the Closed Beta of Travian 4 (and I'm lucky enough to be one of them) which is due to start on the 20th of October 2010 at 12:00 GMT. I would suggest that anyone who hasn't checked their inboxes in the last two days rush and see if they have recieved an invite for the beta.

So let's explain how the beta works  to start with, although the idea of a beta will be familiar to most of you. Basically the idea for the beta is to find as many bugs as possible before they release the game publicly, there will be a lot of little bugs that the Alpha test (yes there was a secret alpha test, I didn't find out about it until a few days ago) has not yet found. I've been told from a relatively high up source (someone on the Alpha and has links to the development team) that the changes of the beta crashing or restarting is close to zero. However because there is a chance of it happening Travian Games are making it so when you purchase Gold on the server you will recieve double the gold for your money; so a purchase of 600 Gold means you will recieve 1200 Gold for the usual 600 Gold price. This is not going to be a feature of the public Travian 4 launch as far as I am aware and there has been no news on whether there will be extra tarrifs to choose from. The other major point of the beta is for Travian Games to find out which features work (from a gameplay sense not a technical one) and why and which features player are not happy with and want to change. I have a feeling that while a lot of features will not be to the public content only some changes will be made as a result of feedback by the beta testers although I do hope that they would make major changes if the testers demanded them.

So far, because the server is not yet active, the only Travian 4 feature I have been able to try out is the 'create your Hero' feature which you will now complete as you register. The interface for the create your hero is clean, fresh and easy to use and does not take long to complete. However there seems to be a lack of options at the moment, limited to 4 per category which gives me the feeling that a lot of heroes will end up looking the same. Although they have said more options will likely come in Travian 4.1 I would hope they take on this feedback now and add at least another four options per category before Travian 4 launches publicly. Maybe they could take some inspiration from Voki with it's vast range of avatars and abilities to add things and to change them, although it'd still need to be Travian themed. Any way, here was my attempt to create a Travian hero:

I hope to blog more about Travian 4 as I discover things within the Beta but I need to find out what exactly I am allowed to share and what has to be kept under raps. I'll be interested to see if they take any of the ideas I posted a month or two ago onboard (found here).

Steve

For more of our posts and to hear about them as soon as they are posted follow us on Twitter, here.

10 comments:

Thaïs said...

Smexy mustache Steve, does it look anything like you?

Stephen McKenzie said...

Nah, but the eyes are similar.

They should add a Panda option!

Druid said...

Nice blog!
Keep up the good work :)

ThePeaceBunny said...

GREAT WORK!!!

Stephen McKenzie said...

Thanks guys, glad our work is appreciated.

grandal said...

I am also a lucky person ^_^

Anonymous said...

to steve10

i think you have no life mate as you seem to know all the tricks of the game play and should slow down your raiding on small players who do not use gold like bigger players do' you for one of them steve10 so just chill out and let players who do not us gold get some where in the game

Stephen McKenzie said...

I find that really funny as in the last week I have raided only 5 players, so that means you are one of 5 players in my 7x7 who have large numbers of troops which I cleared. I also have duals playing on my account so it isn't always me. I have a full time job and a social life, maybe it's you who shouldn't get so upset over what happens in a game. If you take it that seriously you might want to consider finding someone to talk about your problems with. You can be helped.

Unknown said...

To Sag Sag and "Anonymous",
I agree with Sag, and anonymous you're words hit out because he cleared and probably farmed you.

Most people have a full time job also a family so playing this game is just a past-time not a job unlike some *cough*Anonymous*cough* . Just grow up its VIRTUAL not real.

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Followers