Sunday, February 6, 2011

NO More Normal Servers - Travian 4 is coming

Hey Guys,

The time of Travian 4 is looming ever closer and it has been reported by the .co.uk admin that there will be no restarts of any normal speed servers until Travian 4 is launched in a bid to make sure that they're are plenty of players eager and waiting for a new server, as well as the fact it is impossible to upgrade a 3.6 server to a T4 server. This move has angered a massive number of players who believe that Travian should either continue to launch servers at the normal intervals or not have Travian 4 at all.



This decision co-incides with the decision not to have the final round of the x2 Champion Servers until Travian 4 is launched publicly another decision which has brought questions over whether it is fair to change the rules and terms of a competition during the competition itself. 

I believe the mood is going to cause significant uprest within the community but overall I agree with it, I think it'll allow Travian to save on advertising revenue (no new servers mean nothing to advertise) ready for major advertising blitz when Travian 4 launches which if done successfully will bring many new players into the game to replace those who are not happy with the switch. I would also hope that they will take the opportunity to remove some servers from domains that do not need so many, for example I believe that since Travians numbers have decreased in the last two years it is time to remove some servers to allow for a larger game with more competitors.

Let's look at two examples:

Travian.com Servers
Travian.com has 11 Servers with 8 Normal Servers. None of these normal servers have over 15k players, which used to be a normal amount of players to get after a server was started and only 1 of these servers has more than 10,000 players which to me isn't good. 6 out of 8 have under 5,000 players. With a number of servers which will finish before Travian 4 is launched my person view would be that they should cull 4 of the 8 normal servers and have a normal server launch roughly every 3 months to give an even spread balance over the year. I would then advocate having 1 normal server running Travian 3.6 as a classic server to persuade those who have considered leaving to stay. 

Travian.no Servers
Travian.no was a once bustling domain with many, many players of extreme diversity and quality, now they have 7 Servers and all of them have less than 5,000 players. Now I have friends playing on all of those servers and I have the feeling that they won't like my suggestion to cull servers on their domain but I think it has to be done as even at endgame there shouldn't be less than 500 players on a server, it's ridiculous. So yeah I'd say that Travian.no should have at maximum 3 Servers, two normal servers restarting every six months and 1 speed server. 

I have no idea if TravianGames are planning on removing a number of servers but I hope they do as the ever dwindling number of players on a server is not only making the game slower and more boring but it must be cutting into revenue. Not everyone will agree with my suggestion so feel free to use the comments below to suggest your own ways to attract more people to Travian.

Steve10
If you are interested in reading more of our articles when they are available then follow us on Twitter, or use some of our subscribe options found in the sidebar. Thanks

7 comments:

bea said...

I am not playing in T4 Steve and so this blog will be running by you and I will post few things- my adventure in life without travian lol...

Seriously, I am one of the person that does not like too much changes in the game. Yes I have champ server to attend but as far as I am understanding, it suck up too much gold and it will end up that the game is expensive. Its better off, they will have an option for gold players - instead of buying gold, it is a subsctiption basis - unlimited gold per se and or maybe there is a limit then...

Anonymous said...

Travian.no do not have 7 servers. The number of servers were reduced in 2009 when the players asked for a reduction. At the moment they have three running normal servers and one speed. The fourth normal server ended in january, and has not restartet yet.

Stephen McKenzie said...

Ahh, my mistake although that makes the problem even worse. I'd then suggest that Travian.no have just two servers, one for normal speed and one as a speed server.

Anonymous said...

"6 out of 8 have under 5,000 players."

com1, com6 and com9 have ended long time ago, and comx2 ended just. So that is 4 ended servers from your list. com2 is far in endgame. Total 5 servers have ~ended. com3, com4 and com7 are closed from registrations.

The beta T4 server, has 19026 players --- being by far the biggest com server. You failed to notice that just by coincidence?

Stephen McKenzie said...

No I purposely missed out special servers (such as comx2 & the beta) because my focus was on normal servers which have nothing special to attract people to them. And whether a server is over barely matters because it shows that at end game there was a terribly low number of people playing, I remember endgames where there were between 5 & 10 thousand players still around. A long time ago I'll admit but it was the best time for Travian.

bea said...

That was the upside in travian Steve when many people flocking on there server. Maybe the changes is better- to give a new look on their game and yes attraction as well to the new player. I guess, I dont have many time to learn the new T4. I have scarcity of time :( and wished I have :(.. Oh well, we will see each other again in the game not only by playing but I can be an interviewer LOL...

Anonymous said...

Goddamn this version ... I mean T4 ...
It Completely sucks ... I hate it ... The Hero is awful ... If it dies then you can't do anything ... but in T3.6 Hero was something especial ... It was like a troop ... But now ... It's awful ... I don't know how what did the travian admins have thought that they made this version !!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Followers